Saturday, March 19, 2011

Lingual Influenza

Paper, boxes of it, volumes of words strung with alleged significance, page after page--this is the "fat" of litigation.  I believe that in the legal world, brevity is like gold, valuable, and seldom seen.  

I frankly (since I am always "Frank") do not know if the advent of electronic filing and transmission will help or hinder in the big picture.  When manual typewriters were in use, people produced fewer pages, I think, just because the process of creating them was slower and more difficult.  Likewise, loading and carrying paper around, or having to store it, [if you are a court house administrator], has a way of imposing page limitations.

But now, the storage and volume is practically unlimited.  I have a cynical feeling that the volume will expand to fill our nearly unlimited capacity.  We are wordsmiths with lingual influenza, drowning in our own words.

"If the pink slip doesn't fit, get redressed!"
Click to see my wardrobe of remedies. Link